Kondapalli Fort, also locally known as Kondapalli Quilla, is located in the Krishna district.The historic fort on the hill (Eastern Ghats) located to the west of the Kondapalli village was built by Prolaya Vema Reddy of Kondavid during the 14th century, initially as a pleasure place and a business centre, along with the Kondavid Fort in Guntur district.The Kondappli Fort was built in 1360 by the Hindu kings of the Reddy dynasty of Kondavid. But, over the subsequent centuries, it was the theatre of several wars among many northern and southern Indian rulers and the British. In 1541, Kondapalii fort and the province were conquered by the Muhammadans.It was under occupation of the Bahmani Kingdom for some time, then with Gajapati rulers of Orissa followed by Krishnadevaraya of the Vijayanagara empire and it later fell in to the hands of Muslim rulers of the Qutubshahi dynasty in the 16th century.The fort, which has a very picturesque sight, has three successive entry gates. The main entrance gate is called the ‘Dargha Darwaja’ built with single block of granite. It is 12 feet (3.7 m) wide and 15 feet (4.6 m) high. Its name is derived from the tomb or dargha of Gulab Shah, who was killed in battle here. Besides Darhgha darwaza, another entrance gate called the Golconda darwaza is located on the other end of the hill, which leads to Jaggaiahpet village. The fortified wall has towers and battlements.
At the far end of the fort there is the Tanisha Mahal or Palace, perched on a crest between two hills. This palace when in good shape had many chambers on the ground floor and a huge hall on the upper floor. In addition, there are several buildings still standing in the fort, which are ruins.There is deep reservoir near the palace, which is sourced by a spring. The water in the reservoir is said to be very cold and to cause fever. There are numerous other water tanks in the fort area, which go dry during the summer months. An old granary now in ruins, beyond the reservoir, is inhabited by bats.